Witching Metal Webzine

Witching Metal Webzine

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hellcannon - Infected With Violence




Well fuck, it’s been a while since I’ve written for my good ol’ site here hasn’t it? What better way to make a return could there be then by reviewing the first full length release of the first band I reviewed on here?

Anyone who’s followed this blog should know who these boys from Buffolo, New York are by now. But just for shits and giggles here’s a quick rundown of their history thus far:
Formed in 2009 they self-released their demo/EP Raiders of the Waste that year and you can find my review for that here: http://witchingmetal.blogspot.com/2009/11/hellcannon-raiders-of-wastes-demoep.html Since then these guys have been working hard playing gigs and writing songs for their full length, Infected With Violence which was recorded in December 2009 but not actually released until a year later. I eagerly awaited this the whole time, and boy was it worth the wait!

It kicks off with the ripper opening track “Leviathan” which is a definite example of what you’re in for if there ever was any. Bludgeoning riffs, inhuman vocals, tight drumming, audible bass and straightforward intense headbanging songs that are just good violent fun, which is everything I expect from a thrash record of this style.

There’s a few tracks from the first release on here (“Speed Killer”, “Sacrifice by Fire” and “Raiders of the Waste”) and I’d say they sound reasonably better then they did on the EP. The production bothered me a bit at first as it’s not as raw as the EP, which suited the sound really well, but after a few more listens it’s grown on me and does the job just fine. I have no complaints about the production.

The stand outs on here would have to be the vocals and the guitar sound. They just reek of the kind of attitude that rips ya nuts out and feeds them to your grandma while not giving a fuck. My personal favourite songs on this album would have to be “Chainsaw Ripping Death”, “Raiders of the Waste” and “Sacrifice by Fire”, although every song on here is good.

All in all this album is good, solid beef and sounds like an old-school sounding metal band having a good time and, I mean, what more could you ask for?

5/5

Just buy this right fucking now, you will not regret it:

http://hellcannon.bigcartel.com/

No comments: